Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
In Metro 7.3.71 with 1 audio track and 3 MIDI tracks, all tracks looked and played from Metro as expected. I exported the MIDI file in type 1 and discovered an extra MIDI track. This turned out to be MIDI from the audio track. In Metro, clicking in track Outputs I changed the output from the audio track to a MIDI output. Metro warned I had audio in the track but changed anyway. Then the audio disappeared from that track in track and Graphic windows, and the MIDI data appeared in that track in the track and graphic windows. Edit/Data Extract/Cut all notes and other midi info from the track. I reimported my audio track and was back in business. I can't say for sure how the MIDI got into the audio track. There was lots of it! Jeremy, if it would help, I have screen shots of the track, Graphic and event editor windows.
Thanks
Victor
vicpierce

Re: MIDI data in Audio track

Postby vicpierce » Mon May 04, 2020 8:44 am

I have discovered how the midi data got into the audio track. It came from my use of the Horizontal Keyboard icon at the top of the Graphic Editor window for step entry. Activating this tool in a MIDI track and then clicking in an audio track, the tool shows inactive but keying a keyboard controller enters midi data into the audio track.
I tested with a new Metro project - one audio file imported, one midi track. I opened the event editor window to observe entry. In the Graphic window, I clicked in the MIDI track, activated the step entry tool, and entered a few notes from my external keyboard controller. The event editor showed the notes entered. I clicked into the audio track. The step entry tool showed inactive. The event editor showed it was watching the audio track. I entered a few notes from my external keyboard controller and the event editor showed the MIDI data for those notes in the audio track.
Victor
vicpierce

Postby Jerm » Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Hello Vic,

Sorry for the late reply. I will look into this.
Jerm

Postby Jerm » Mon May 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes it seems like a bug but very minor. What do you think it should do?
Jerm

Postby vicpierce » Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 pm

The problem is indeed minor. In all my years of using Metro, this is the first time it has even been noticed.
Some possibilites come to mind:
.warn and prohibit whenever midi is attempted to be written to a track set as an audio track.
.only export midi data from tracks set as Midi tracks.
.if, when an export of midi data is attempted and MIDI data is found in an audio track, produce a warning message.
Victor
vicpierce

Postby Jerm » Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Do you think a sufficient fix would be to simply not output MIDI during 'export MIDI file' when it is contained on an audio track?
Jerm

Postby vicpierce » Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes, I think so. If MIDI data is inadvertently input to an audio track, the MIDI does not play, only the audio does. No-one is the wiser when someone wants to export MIDI tracks.
As long as there is no problem with an exported audio track that contained MIDI data.
Victor
vicpierce

Return to Bug Reports